I'm sure you have heard of the term 'super food', but what are they? It is a marketing term for food that is supposed to have great health benefits due to being nutrient rich. They are high in micronutrients like vitamins, minerals, as well as antioxidants, enzymes and healthy fats. They help to fuel your body so it can fight against chronic disease and other nutrient deficiencies.
There are many foods that are termed 'super foods', but here are some worthy of a mention:
1. Dark leafy green - such as kale, spinach, broccoli, etc.
2. Berries - raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, cranberries, goji berries, acai berries
3. Green tea
4. Legumes - bean, lentils, peas, peanuts, alfalfa
5. Nuts and seeds - almonds, peanuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, flaxseeds, hemp seeds
6. Garlic, ginger and onions
7. Olive oil
10. Sweet potato
12. Whole grains - oatmeal, quinoa, brown rice
Try to get some of these super foods into your diet. Add in foods rich in colour, add greens to stir-fry, replace beef or chicken with salmon, add berries to porriage or baked goods, eats lots of fruit and vegetables, and snack on nuts.
You can always add berries or green leafy vegetables to your Muscle Protein protein shake! Double the healthy!