Muscle Protein Hot Cross Buns Recipe
Prep Time: 90 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 8 buns
- 275g spelt flour
- 2 scoops (30g) Muscle Protein powder (either Platinum or Power)
- 3 tbsp coconut palm sugar
- 1 tsp fast action yeast
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 65g chopped apricots or desired dried fruit
- 55g currants
- 150ml unsweetened almond milk
- 25g melted coconut oil
- 1 egg
For the crosses:
- 40g spelt flour
- 20g almond milk
- 1 egg cup of boiled water
- 1 pinch mixed spice
- 1 tsp coconut palm sugar
- Combine the flour, Muscle Protein powder of choice, yeast, salt and mixed spice in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg with the melted coconut oil and almond milk.
- Slowly add the egg mixture into the flour.
- Fold in the apricots and currants until it becomes a dough.
- Place the dough in a well-oiled bowl and leave to rest in a warm place for 1 hour until it has risen.
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes and then cut into 8 equal balls.
- Place on a lined baking tray and leave to rise in a warm place for a further 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees (fan).
- To make the white crosses, mix the almond milk and remaining spelt flour together to form a dough. Roll these into long sausages.
- Make up the sugared water and once the buns have risen for 20 minutes brush a little over the top of each and place the sausages in a cross to form that iconic hot cross bun pattern!
- Place the buns in the preheated oven for 15 minutes until golden. Once the buns are out of the oven you can brush them again with the sugared water to make them shiny.
- Per serving (1 hot cross bun):
- Kcals: 267
- Protein: 9.19g-11.45g
- Fibre: 3.5g
- Carbohydrates: 36.5g
- Sugars: 10.2g
- Fats: 5.7g